Verse of the Day!

Monday, August 14, 2006

Flip Flops and Bubblegum

Youth led the evening service at church last night. They did a great job telling about the wonderful experiences they had this summer. We have a great group of kids at Columbus. One thing that I still have a hard time getting used to is how casual church has become. "Back in the day" I remember wearing hose and closed toed shoes everytime I stepped into the sanctuary of our church. I don't really want to go back to those days. Hose and heat are not a good match! I overhead a friend say she has to force her daughter to wear a dress to church on Sunday mornings. What kind of mood do you think they are in by the time they get to church? Is it worth the battle? I am all too familiar with the struggles of dressing for church. Drew hates shirts with collars. What do you think?

2 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 12:09 PM, Blogger texasinafrica said...

I'm with you! It's fine to wear sandals with a skirt in summer, but I was taught that you show respect when you go church, and that respect involves dressing as though you are going somewhere special rather than to your everyday life.

 
At 8/14/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Papa Steve said...

This is an issue that I have thought a lot about, and I am not certain that I am not trying to justify my personal preferences. This will come as no shock I am sure, but I am a big fan of casual church. (As evidenced by my t-shirt, shorts and flip flops at the service last night.)

Other than admonitions that you should dress modestly (1 Tim. 2:9 - incidentally a passage that says you should not wear expensive clothing), I have not found anything in the Bible that leads me to believe that there is any mandate, other than a cultural one, that we be "dressed-up" for church. In fact in James 2:1-4 we are warned not to judge people by appearances, such as what they are wearing.

I can respect that some people want to use their clothing to indicate the importance of the event, much the same way we dress up for a wedding ceremony or a funeral, but I can also respect that some people might be uncomfortable coming to church if they feel that they don't have the proper clothing to wear.

Not to say that I haven't also seen some things worn to church that are inexcusable, but those tend to be outfits that run afoul of the "modest" standard mentioned above.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<body>