Verse of the Day!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

F2 in Waco

Pictures seem to tell the story well. About 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, we got the kids up for a cozy little family time in the hallway. We had lost electricity and could hear the tornado sirens blaring nearby. We prayed and waited for the hail and wind to stop. They sirens stopped and we tried to get everyone settled back in bed. Before long, the sirens rang again and we got back in the hallway. We could tell that there was damage but we had no idea what the storm had done until the next morning.

Mark used a hand saw (no electricity) to cut a limb loose so that we could get our car out of the driveway.

The lot next to us lost a huge tree. It landed in the street and blocked most of the street during the morning hours.

This is the view as you turn onto our street. The winds snapped our power lines and left them hanging by the ground. We had to get an electrician to come replace our meter on the house before TXU would restore power.

This is across the street from us. This large tree was uprooted.

Long story short, we are at home tonight. We are amazed that we have electricity. I literally walked the TXU man to our house and showed him our problem. They worked on our house for several hours. We were finally connected but we had no food in the house. We went out for dinner and came back to a DARK house. Mark went searching for the TXU man and discovered there was a "fire" down the street while they were reconnecting which kicked our electricity off again. Fortunately, we were able to get lights back fairly quickly.

More to come later. I am exhausted and going to bed.

Mark here (on Monday morning- I was asleep on the couch when Regina posted this last night)-
We felt so isolated on Saturday morning. In addition to no power or phone, our cell phones wouldn't work consistently until about 2:00 pm. I assume they were not at full capacity and more people were using their cell phones as many lines were down, but it was very frustrating.

Regina also failed to mention the 60 foot (or so) cottonwood we lost behind our house. I don't know how we're going to get rid of that thing. It is resting on a pecan tree right now and doesn't threaten the house, but hopefully the pecan tree won't give out. I'm not sure that I got a good pic of it though, since it's back in the woods.

Also, a note of thanks to the Grande folks. They provide our phone, cable, and internet over the same coax line. I didn't even think about calling them to get our phone back since we didn't have power. I guess I just equated coax with tv. I guess I hadn't really thought it through. Anyway, they just showed up Sunday afternoon and ran a temporary line to get our phones back up and when we got the power back on, we had cable, too! They'll have to come back and run a new, permanent line when I get some of the trees cleared out, but at least we're up and running.


Post a Comment

<< Home