Verse of the Day!

Monday, September 25, 2006

And we're back....

Drew and I are back from Big Bend. We had a great time and I learned a bunch, right along-side the kids. We were at a group camp site, so we had an area to ourselves, which was nice. This was pretty much the view from our campsite. It made for some great sunsets. (BTW- not my pics.)

Here's the group I was responsible for. They all made it back to Waco alive, so I consider it a successful trip.

(L to R) Matthew, Austin, Daniel, LynDemian (I had a hard time with that name and had to shorten it to LD), Devon, Nathan (I'm the tall one in the back)


Unfortunately, I didn't get many pics of Drew and me, but here's one of the few-

That's the Rio Grande and Mexico in the background.

Drew was in Mr. Burnie Battles' group. His wife, Mary Helen, and son, Jay both teach at Hillcrest. Burnie and Mary Helen have been taking groups to Big Bend for years and know that park like the back of their hands. If we go back as a family, I think Drew will have to be our tour guide, because I know he learned a lot from Mr. Battles.

There was a bit of controversy surrounding the trip and how it was received by the new administration in Waco. I have a feeling I'll be called upon to speak as a proponent for future trips, which I will certainly do. There is definitely more to learning than the classroom and the teachers at Hillcrest obviously share a love for these kids and passion to teach them. While the trip was fun, it was very obvious that the teachers don't do this trip because it's the easy thing to do. They do it because they love these kids and want them to experience interactive education and expose them to new things. I'm sure this was the first time many of these kids have seen the mountains, and for many it will be the last.

2 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 3:26 PM, Blogger texasinafrica said...

That is SO cool! And I'm completely in agreement that this is an invaluable experience, especially for kids who won't have such an opportunity again. Hope y'all are well!

 
At 10/07/2006 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks fun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<body>